Use in mating disruption to manage the Codling moth, Cydia pomonella.

The Codling Moth, at present, constitutes the main pest of some important crops such as apple, pear, walnut, and quince.
The codling moth has an average of 3 generations per year. Adult flights begin from the second half of April. The first and second generations occur from April to June, and the third generation occurs in July or August. Newly hatched larvae are whitish in color, with black heads, and can quickly move towards the fruit. Once on the fruit, they feed on it, causing irreversible damage.


Mating disruption technique is recommended as an alternative method to chemical treatment for controlling Cydia pomonella. This technique involves creating an atmosphere saturated with the insect's sex pheromone. In this way, males are confused, preventing them from locating females and thereby avoiding subsequent mating and reproduction.


Mating disruption

CYDIATEC® is a passive diffuser (VP formulation) containing 0.400 g/diffuser of (E,E)-8,10-dodecadien-1-ol and 0.200 g/diffuser of dodecan-1-ol. These two compounds are described as the major components of the sexual pheromone of Cydia pomonella.


  • 300/400 diffusers/ha are used, placing 10% on the edges and the remaining 90% distributed evenly throughout the plot.
  • The device should be placed in the upper third of the trees, from before the onset of the first adult flight until harvest.
  • It is advisable to protect the diffusers with foliage to avoid direct exposure to the sun.
  • Special attention should be paid to areas where the dominant wind enters, both in reinforcement and surveillance.
  • Monitoring of the pest with a trap designed for this purpose is recommended (delta trap, 2 to 3 traps/ha, with the corresponding diffuser). The duration of the diffusers is 180 days under normal conditions.
  • Additional devices should be placed on the field edges to prevent entry of adults from adjacent lands, always respecting the maximum dose/ha.
  • It is recommended to assess, through careful monitoring, the need for complementary treatments with insecticides depending on the pressure of the pest and the population reduction effect.
  • The diffusers should be placed in the field within two years from the date of manufacture.

Re-entry interval: Not applicable.


CYDIATEC® is supplied in bags of 100 diffusers (1/3 ha). The containers are impermeable to small amounts of vapor that may be emitted during storage. The diffusers should be stored in their original packaging in a cool, dry place protected from light. Unused diffusers should be stored in tightly closed containers at a temperature not exceeding 8°C (refrigerator or preferably freezer at -18°C). Under these conditions, the product can be stored for up to 2 years from the date of manufacture and placed in the field with a duration of 180 days.


Efficacy Results
Since 2018, trials have been conducted with the CYDIATEC® product in the field. Currently, the product is present in various countries. Based on the development carried out at SEDQ and the results obtained in the field, the CYDIATEC® product is consolidated in the control of codling moth thanks to its demonstrated effectiveness.

Codling moth

Cydia pomonella

Cydiatec en campo de manzano